Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Our First Two Years

The thick, fluffy blanket of snow outside reminds me of a certain day almost two years ago. Just such a snow had fallen and threatened to move our wedding from the planned location:
 This historic log church in Green Mountain Falls.


But our wedding day dawned crisp, clear and sunny. While many side roads were still impassible, we decided to go ahead and have our wedding at Church in the Wildwood. Aren't the beams and rafters in this place just beautiful?

Note: All photos by MIO Photography

I'll never forget the drive up the pass that morning. Snow sparkled against a backdrop of winter blue sky, dark red rock formations and stately evergreens. The beauty of the day took my breath away.
What a gift from our Creator!

A couple of hours later, I was married "before God and these witnesses" to the redneck in the camo vest here:


Steve's redneck-edness hasn't changed in the past two years.
In fact, he's become a huge fan of Duck Dynasty and always says, 
"I just wanna go work with those guys!" So it's no surprise that his newest hunting addiction involves ducks.

Anyway, I'm happy to report that the guy who swept me off my feet then still sweeps me off my feet today!

These first two years haven't been without their adjustments, arguments or times when I wanted to go hide in the other room. Poor Steve has gotten the silent treatment more than once, since he is much better at talking through problems, whereas I just want to keep my distance until I figure out what's at the root of it.

Sometimes that's nothing more than the fact that Steve won a number of games in a row and "gloated" about it (he'd say he "was just happy about it") and I'm still learning to take that well.

But Steve has been unendingly patient with me and taught me a lot about communication. (And here I'm the one with the communications degree. Just goes to show that a piece of paper doesn't mean you've mastered the subject--far from it!)

But regardless of the occasional bump in the road of this adventure called marriage, it's been a wonderful ride!
Steve is still the ruggedly handsome and hilarious man I married.


He still has great guy friends who've got his back. 


He still learns from other men and mentors younger ones, 
which makes me want to cheer.


 He still claims that I tried to shove wedding cake up his nose first . . . but look at the photo evidence!


 He's still family-oriented and makes time 
to visit our fun extended families.



 He still loves kiddos and will be a great daddy!
And he's held and comforted me through the loss of our first child to miscarriage this past week.



"Stuncle" still adores his nieces, whom I also adore! 
(Chammyleon, mannequin and kalockalockalocka, girls!)


Steve still makes me feel cherished, every single day.


He still makes me laugh, several times a day!
And he does that while working incredibly hard toward our future goals, mastering both full-time school and part-time work (as a Zamboni driver--how cool is that!). Speaking of school, I have to brag on my President's Honor Roll man!



He still looks at me like this . . . most of the time! 
(Maybe not when I tease him about chipmunks.)

So, after two years of marriage . . . I think I'll keep him.

Steve, thank you for being such an amazing husband . . . 
and my favorite redneck!

2 comments:

  1. Your wedding was stunningly beautiful - so much joy, in the gorgeous landscape as you described and in our hearts witnessing your love for each other!

    ReplyDelete