Wednesday, January 22, 2014

13 Reasons I Love Snow

I think titles with numbers in them are usually corny, cheesy or cliche. But sometimes they're intriguing. Like "11 Unique Uses for Unicorn Hair" . . . "7 Ways to Skin a Skunk" . . . or "10 Reasons to Own Pet Piranhas." Somebody should write articles for those titles . . .

Anyway, "inspired" to write a "13 Reasons" article of my own, I asked Facebook friends what I should write about. Aunt Mary suggested "13 Reasons I Want Snow," because she couldn't think of two good reasons. So, here goes:

1. I spent many a south Georgia summer cutting sweet potato vines and planting them in 113 degree heat, at 95% humidity. Those summers taught me invaluable lessons about hard work, perseverance and the satisfaction of working with one's hands. And about how much I hate being hot. Anything above 70 is hot.

2. In south Georgia, it snows about once a century. Whenever an eighth of a percent of chance of snow was in the forecast, we kept our noses pressed against the windows in hopes of seeing a few fluffy flakes.

3. The one snowman I got to build as a kid was made from rolling each section around our pasture, trying to collect enough snow to make a "real snowman." Our masterpiece looked more like a straw man because of all the hay stuck in the measly bit of snow. But boy, were we proud of Mr. Snowman! We outfitted him for the beach, and he melted faster than we could find him a pair of sunglasses.

4. Since I moved to Colorado, I've discovered a favorite new pastime: Sitting in a comfy chair by the window, wrapped in a red fleece blanket, sipping hot tea and watching big, fluffy snowflakes twirl to the ground. Is anything more relaxing? I think not.

5. Once I tire of sitting by the window, I find that a snowy day is the perfect time to bake! And baking is one of my favorite hobbies. Especially since, for me, baking usually involves chocolate or sweet potatoes--two of my favorite foods!

6. If it's a weekday and it snows enough that the roads are dangerous with poor visibility, my work might give us a snow day. I get just as giddy about snow days as any kid--maybe more. After all, that gives me a chance to enjoy #4 and #5.

7. In Colorado, snow in town usually means even more snow in the mountains. And more snow in the mountains means that many of the "yuppies" (to use a Phil Robertson term) go off to ski. Which means that driving is much more pleasant for those of us who are not from Texas or California and/or actually know how to drive in the snow.

8. A good snow also means that my hubby might just take me out in his great big 4-wheel drive truck to go sledding! And what feels more child-like or evokes more glee than skimming down a snowy hill on a sled?

9. Snow sparkles. Kind of like diamonds. And I'm a girl. I like sparkles. Snow is so pretty!!!

10. Snow gives the air a wonderful, crisp, clean feeling that is absolutely invigorating!

11. Snow on the ground is often accompanied with wood smoke in the air. Few things smell better than wood smoke. Other than sweet potato pie. Or baking brownies.

12. Every snowflake has the same number of points, yet each one is as unique as a fingerprint. Amazing!

13. When I see something ugly made beautiful by a blanket of sparkly snow, I'm reminded of this promise: "Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow" (God speaking in Isaiah 1:18). I'm so glad He covers my ugliness with His beauty and gives me the ability to live unashamed!

No comments:

Post a Comment