Saturday, January 18, 2014

Answer to a Teenage Prayer

Like many of my friends, I grew up praying for my future husband. But I also prayed about my future mother-in-law. Many of the married women I knew had a tough time with their mother-in-law judging them, criticizing them and implying that they weren't good enough for their son or grandkids. How tough! Seeing the hurt, misunderstanding and tension in those relationships, I decided to pray for something different.


Steve's mom, Luann "Annie" Echols
Soon after Steve Echols and I began a serious relationship in 2011, he left for a hunting trip. With his blessing, I invited his mom over for lunch one Saturday. And by the time lunch was over, I knew I wanted to keep her. 

"Even if our relationship doesn't work out," I asked Steve, "Can I keep your mom?"

"No," he said. "I'm part of the package."

So I married him.

Now, almost two years after our wedding day, I find myself even more thankful for both Steve and his mom. (More on that in a minute.)

But first, I want to say that I have a pretty amazing mom who taught me to love and trust God, sacrifice for my family and create a legacy of faith. So even as I write about my mother-in-law, I'm equally thankful for my own mother, Elizabeth ("Beth") Lutz, and the multitude of wisdom she pours into each of her nine children. My mom has sacrificed many of her own hopes, dreams and desires to lay down her life for her family, and she gives the honor and glory to God. If I can be half the mother she is, I will have succeeded.

After Steve and I became engaged, his mom let me in on a secret. For years, she had been praying for Steve's future wife. And from the first time she met me, she knew I was the girl she'd been praying for. How incredibly affirming!

One thing I admire about Mom Echols is how creative and artistic she is. She's always using those talents to do things for others. For our rehearsal dinner, Steve's mom and sister teamed up to make two fun cakes that suited him perfectly. They also made our beautiful wedding cake and cupcakes, which tasted as delicious as they look:


Both of Steve's parents did a ton to help our wedding come together, and they rejoiced with us after we said our vows. I felt so warmly welcomed into the Echols family.



And the welcome hasn't run out. When Steve had to work a lot of evening shifts and I grew lonely, Mom Echols invited me over for dinner and game nights. When we invite Steve's parents over to watch Broncos games with us, she often volunteers to bring delicious food.

And Annie's generosity isn't limited to us. She often cooks and cleans for an older couple who can no longer do those things for themselves. She sends thoughtful care packages to her son and his family in Namibia and spent two months with them this fall. I know they'd probably keep her with them forever if they could.

Ernie and Annie's grandkids in 2012

So would Annie's daughter, Candace, and her family. Everybody loves to have her around, and her grandkids follow her into anything when she says, "Come on, it'll be fun!"

That fun spirit often reveals itself in my husband, who approaches life with a sense of anticipation and adventure. His positive outlook balances my more serious approach to life, and I'm so thankful for the lightheartedness he inherited from his mom.

I'm also thankful for the world's best apple pie recipe that Mom Echols shared with me . . . mmm! 

Thank you, Mom Echols, for being the answer to my prayer and the best mother-in-law I could imagine!

No comments:

Post a Comment