Wednesday, January 22, 2014

You Might Be from a Big Family If ...

. . . Your family, while enjoying the dollar menu at Wendy's, has been mistaken for a kid's birthday party.

. . . When people ask, "Do you have any siblings?" you prepare for their look of utter shock when you answer, "Yes. I have (insert large number) of them."

. . . Their next question is, "Are you Mormon?"
      "No."
      "Catholic?"
      "No."
      "Well, then . . ." (a look of complete bewilderment, followed by:) "Your parents must really like each other."

. . .  While your family is being seated at a restaurant, diners at other tables stop eating, stare and begin to count the line of children. You see them mouth, "1, 2, 3, 4 . . ." Then their jaw drops and they cease counting. It's as if no one knows how to count past four.

. . . When people realize you're all part of the same family, they say, "You could form your own baseball team!"

. . . You fill up two carts full of groceries and hope it will last a week. The cashier assumes you're hosting a party.

. . . You wash and dry four or five loads of laundry per day. But the clean laundry may or may not get folded.

. . . You eat fast if you want seconds.


. . . Every meal prepared in your home can feed at least a dozen people, but you rarely have leftovers.


. . . If you do have leftovers, you fight over who gets to eat them for lunch the next day, instead of peanut butter and jelly.

. . . When you grow up and leave home, you buy a 9x13 pan and realize you don't know how to cook for fewer than a dozen people.

. . . You crave peace and quiet but don't know what to do with yourself after a few hours alone.

. . . You still hate doing dishes, but it's not as bad if you have someone to help you or Adventures in Odyssey to listen to.

. . . You still think Wendy's is a treat and order off the dollar menu out of habit. Ever tried dipping fries in a Frosty? The BEST!

. . . You discover that, while big families have their quirks and challenges, they also have their great rewards. After all:

1. If anybody messes with me, they'll have to deal with my brothers--all five of them! And my three sisters. Now that's scary! ;-)

With my brothers Nathanael, Caleb, Isaac, David and Benjamin.

2. My family can cook! And with a dozen good cooks in the family, we make some pretty great meals together. My mouth waters just thinking about birthdays or holidays at home.

3. Being part of a big family shows you that people aren't all the same. Each one is unique . . . and I do mean unique!

4. I have eight siblings who get it when I sing, "These are a few of my favorite things!" or "Follow me, boys, follow me!" We have hundreds of family jokes, sayings and shared memories--so fun!

5. Being part of a big family teaches you how to be flexible, how to roll with the punches, how to be considerate of others, how to set boundaries, how to be tough when you need to be, how to know when something's worth fighting for (and when it's not), how to stand up for yourself, how to stand up for each other . . . and much more . . . like how to play good practical jokes!

With my amazing sisters: Rachel, Esther and Deborah.

6. Every one of my family members knows me very well (probably "weller" than they'd like!) and still loves me. So when I get discouraged, all I have to do is talk to one of them to be reminded that I am loved, whether or not I deserve it. And that reminds me of God's unfailing love, which isn't based on deserving at all.

7. Anytime I need prayer, I can call my amazing parents, eight great siblings or terrific brother-in-law. They'll really care, and they'll really pray.

Yep, you might be from a large family if you have a ton of people who share your name, your memories, your favorite recipes, your heart and your most embarrassing moments. I love you, Lutz Fam!

The whole family (for now) including my hubby and brother-in-law.

Now, how about you? If you're part of a large family, what would you add to this list?

1 comment:

  1. Being the father of 8 kids I'm often told, "You need to get a tv" or asked "You do know where they come from, right?"

    ReplyDelete