Saturday, January 25, 2014

Best New Year's Ever!

At about 7pm on the last day of 2013, my hubby and I went out "to buy snacks" for New Year's Eve. We came back with popcorn, jalapeño chips and a little something that we kept hidden. I (barely) managed to stay awake till midnight, when we ran outside to watch the neighborhood fireworks. Brrrr! The night air quickly chilled us, so we did our best to keep each other warm while we wondered, What will the new year bring?

Less than 4 hours later, I woke up and went to another room to take a test. Steve was sleeping soundly (snoring loudly!) at the time, and I didn't want to wake him. So I lay awake for the next few hours . . . full of wonder, excitement and all kinds of sweet, tender feelings that don't normally follow test-taking. I thanked God for the results and prayed over the miracle taking place.

Shortly after I dozed off, Steve woke and gently nudged me. "You should go take that test," he said.

"I already did." I held it up for him to see the little + sign. "You're gonna be a daddy!"

Steve's eyes widened until I thought they might pop. "Really?!"

A little while later, Steve took me to breakfast at a little restaurant where his Grandpa Jim used to take them on special occasions. The fresh-squeezed orange juice tasted delicious!

We called my family from the car to share our news. Dad, Mom, Esther and Deborah were there. Once they were all together with us on speaker phone, I said: "Dad and Mom, you're going to be grandparents!"

We went to a couple of stores until Steve found a picture frame decorated with baby feet and sound affects like Beep, beep! We wrapped it and went back to Grandma Shirley's house, where Steve called everyone together.

"Mom and Dad, we have a belated Christmas gift for you," Steve said.

His mom opened the package and looked at it in confusion. "Is this for Reese's baby brother?" she asked. (Reese is her first grandson who is now 2 and has a baby brother coming soon.)

Steve and I shook our heads. The tag on the picture frame read, "To Grandpa and Grandma, From Baby Echols." Finally, it clicked, and Steve's mom started shedding tears of joy. As soon as the rest of the family saw that she understood, the room erupted! Steve's sister and nieces rushed to hug us, squealing with excitement. Our brother-in-law gave us his big, happy grin and warm congratulations. Steve's parents and Grandma Shirley came to hug us, all with tears in their eyes. "This will be our 6th grandchild!" Steve's dad said. "And my 21st great-grandchild," Grandma Shirley said.

We spent the rest of the day doing our best to reach the rest of our siblings (three of them overseas). We also got to share the news with Steve's dad's parents, who live across the street from Grandma Shirley. Grandpa Dave looked so happy and gave us big hugs. And when Grandma Stella heard the word "Baby," she stopped pacing and gave us a big smile! (Grandma Stella has dementia and doesn't understand everything around her, but she was happy about a baby!)

By the end of the day, I was completely exhausted (running on fewer than 4 hours of sleep), but Steve and I both had full hearts.

"I'm excited!" Steve told me, poking my belly. "I know what's in there!" (Besides dinner.)

We agreed that the discovery of our first baby on the way was a pretty great way to start the new year!

No comments:

Post a Comment